Discover Facts About the Flavors of Bulgarian Cuisine
FACTS ABOUT BULGARIA’S CULTURE
Explore the delicious and diverse food culture of Bulgaria, including the famous Shopska salad that won the title of the best dish in Europe, the national drink Rakia, the birthplace of yogurt, a rich history of wine production, and the highly acclaimed white cheese. Get ready to taste the unique flavors of Bulgaria!
- Bulgaria’s most famous salad, the Shopska salad, won the title of the best dish in Europe in a contest held by the European Parliament.
- Rakia, an alcoholic drink made from fermented pears, grapes, or apricots, is the country’s national drink and is often served with Shopska salad.
- In Bulgarian food culture, salad is typically served as a starter before the main course, unlike in many other countries where it is served alongside the main course.
- Bulgaria is known as the birthplace of yogurt. Its unique consistency is due to the presence of Lactobacillus Bulgaricus, which can only be found in this region.
- In the 1980s, Bulgaria was the second-largest wine producer in the world.
- Wine-growers Day, also known as Trifon Zarezan, is celebrated on February 14th in Bulgaria as a celebration of the country’s love for wine.
- Bulgaria’s white cheese is highly acclaimed for its unique flavor and creamy texture and has received numerous international awards, including the World Cheese Awards and the Golden Cheese Award.
More Curious Facts About Bulgaria
Unique Places in Bulgaria
Dragalevski Monastery: A Rich History of Bulgarian Culture & Heritage
The Dragalevski Monastery is an iconic landmark representing Bulgaria's rich culture and heritage. Its name was first mentioned in the Vitosha golden seal
Bachkovo Monastery: A Cultural Gem Georgian monk Gregory Bakuriani founded the Bachkovo Monastery in 1083. It's the second-largest in Bulgaria and one of
Arapovski Monastery: Cultural Showcase
Situated in Bulgaria's Rhodope Mountains, the Arapovski Monastery highlights the country's cultural and religious legacy. Constructed in the mid-19th century, the St. Nedelya
Top 3 amazing country’s road trips
Experience the rich cultural heritage and natural beauty of Bulgaria on a road trip, where every turn unveils a new adventure and memories to last a lifetime.
The information in the “Facts about Bulgaria” section of GuideBG.com is provided solely for information purposes, and GuideBG does not assume any liability for this content or its accuracy. Information and content in the section “Fact about Bulgaria”, including text, images, and illustrations, are authored and copyrighted. We support intellectual property rights and the work of photographers, illustrators, and content creators. All visuals are licensed through Envato and Adobe and/or copyrighted by the authors.