Discover an entrancing culinary masterpiece with Bulgarian Minced Majesty—a delicately spiced minced meat shish-kebab accompanied by aromatic rice and rounded off with a vibrant tomato-onion salad. This is more than just a dish; it’s a gastronomic story in flavors and textures.
Preparation Time: Approximately 1 hour, plus 1 hour cooking time
Ingredients (for four people)
For the Minced Meat Shish-Kebab:
- 500 grams of minced lamb
- 500 grams of minced beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Rice:
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- Salt to taste
For the Tomato-Onion Salad:
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- A handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Method to prepare the minced meat shish-kebab
Minced Meat Shish-Kebab:
- Blend: In a bowl, combine minced lamb, beef, garlic, onion, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Mold: Form the mixture into elongated shapes around the flat skewers.
- Grill: Preheat your grill to 200°C (392°F). Cook the skewers for 5 minutes on each side.
- Boil: In a saucepan, bring vegetable broth, saffron, and salt to a gentle boil.
- Infuse: Add the Basmati rice and lower the heat to 180°C (356°F). Cover and cook until tender, roughly 20 minutes.
- Combine: In a bowl, mix together the tomatoes, onion, and parsley.
- Dress: Drizzle olive oil over the salad and season with salt and pepper. Toss well.
- Lay the Foundation: Spoon a generous serving of aromatic rice onto each plate.
- Elevate: Position the minced meat shish-kebab atop the rice.
- Accentuate: Garnish with a generous scoop of the tomato-onion salad.
Tips and Tricks
- Finely Chopped: The more finely you chop the onion and garlic for the meat mixture, the better the texture.
- Time It Right: Don’t rush the rice; let it cook slowly to absorb all the flavors.
- Spice it up: Add green or red chili peppers.
Alternative Preparation Suggestions
- Substitute Basmati rice with Jasmine or even wild rice for a different texture.
- Add a dash of lemon juice or a sprinkle of sumac for a more tangy salad.
Place any leftover kebabs and rice in separate airtight containers and refrigerate for 3 days. The salad is best consumed fresh but can be refrigerated for up to 1 day.
- Minced meat shish kebab is a modern take on the traditional Bulgarian kebab, infusing it with an array of spices for added depth.
- Saffron in rice is not traditionally Bulgarian but adds an exotic note that elevates the dish into the gourmet realm.
- The combination of lamb and beef in the minced meat offers a balanced flavor profile, reflecting Bulgaria’s diverse culinary influences.
Each bite is a flavor journey through Bulgarian culinary artistry. Cook, savor, and celebrate the rich tapestry of gourmet Bulgarian cuisine.